If your hearing aid gets wet
If your hearing aid gets wet DON’T PANIC! Electronics and water are two things that generally don’t go well together but all is not lost if your aid does get a soaking. I’ve had several that have been waterlogged and have managed to get them working fully again.
Things to do if your hearing aid gets wet
- Remove the aid from the water as quickly as possible – the less water that’s in it in the first place, the better chance it has to work again.
- Turn it off straight away and remove the battery. Throw the battery in the bin. Don’t be tempted to wait and see if it comes straight back on – turn it off as soon as possible.
- Close the battery door, remove the tube (if you have one) and dry gently with a towel. Shake it gently to try and get as much water out as possible.
- Use a hairdryer or a fan to blow-dry it. It’s very important not to let the aid get too hot so don’t use a hair-dryer on a high-heat – use a low-heat and keep the dryer some distance away from the aid. Excessive heat is much worse for electronics than a brief dunk in water. Blow-drying will speed up the dry-out time but you can skip this step if you are worried about the heat or don’t have a fan.
- Leave the aid to dry out. The amount of time to leave it will depend on how wet it was. I’ve had to leave an aid for two days before it completely dried out. Leave it sitting with the battery door open so that as much air as possible can get it. Better still, place it in a dehumidifier pot – this will speed up the dry-out considerably.
- Once you are happy that the aid is dried, put in a fresh battery and try it out. You can also use one of the cleaning tools you received with your aid to make sure the water has not left any residue behind but be very careful poking tools inside your aid.
- If the aid still does not work then you can either recharge your dehumidifier pot and leave it a while longer or ask your audiologist to send it back for repair.
What not to do
- Never put your hearing aid into a microwave or conventional oven. It’s too much heat and you’ll melt something.
- Don’t just assume it’s broken. Give it time to dry and then get it sent away for repair if you need to.
The important thing to remember is: It is unlikely that you will need to buy a new hearing aid just because it got soaked – electronics are more resilient to water than most people think.
Did you enjoy this article?
You can have all of my articles sent to you via email. Just pop your email address into the box below and you'll never miss a thing. It's completely free too!